Possibly the worst kept secret in gaming has finally been revealed – there will be an Uncharted Collection for the PS4, and it is titled The Nathan Drake Collection. Some facts…
- It will include Drake’s Fortune, Among Thieves and Drake’s Deception
- It will not include Golden Abyss
- It will not include the multiplayer elements from Among Thieves or Drake’s Deception
- It will give access to the multiplayer beta for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- It will be released on October 9th
- You can download it or get a real life disc
- Bluepoint are doing the remastering, not Naughty Dog
- You should buy it.
The Nathan Drake Collection will feature 1080p and 60fps, and will also include the ever popular photomode which was included with the The Last of Us: Remastered.
It is unfortunate that Golden Abyss will not be included – that was a fantastic game which suffered from being a Vita only title. I suppose Vita to PS4 was too much in this instance. Golden Abyss did make extensive use of the Vita’s ‘cool’ controls. Many people are also peeved at the lack of multiplayer, although personally I am not going to cry about that. The story and campaign is Uncharted’s soul, and while the multiplayer was fun, I think we can live with Uncharted 4’s instalment.
Finally, the name The Nathan Drake Collection has raised eyebrows, not least because of the aforementioned omission of Golden Abyss, but also… um… what about Uncharted 4? Isn’t Nate the protagonist in Uncharted 4? Or are Naughty Dog paving the way for someone new to take the reins? If Uncharted 4 is the last ever Uncharted title we are getting, (and god damn Neil Druckmann for repeatedly insinuating that it is) surely this really isn’t the ultimate Nathan Drake Collection at all? Why not call it… Uncharted Remastered, or something about it being an HD collection, or whatever? ‘The Nathan Drake Collection’ feels oddly specific. And a misnomer. Unless Uncharted will continue with someone new.